Probationary Member

Default Need ideas for 2 year old class

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for some ideas for my 2 year old room. Our themes for the month of March are 5 senses, Our Great Big World, Outer Space & Dinosaurs, with a couple of days inbetween for Easter is St Patricks day. I have the holiday ideas all picked out and planned out but it's the rest I'm having difficulties with. One of my ideas for the 5 senses was doing a magic bad with different items in it and have the children put their hands in it and tell me what they think is in there. If any one can help me with some of these I'd really appreciate the help. My center has the theme topics posted and the whole center from infants to Kindergarten does the same theme.

LOL!

At first I thought you meant that your classroom was relatively new--two years old.

You might play different sounds and see what they can identify.

Probationary Member

Thank you! Yes it's new, It's new to me that is. I'm not use to working with two's I used to work with 3' & up but then I lost my job and started working at this new place and I'm finding it hard not knowing where to start with them. I've been there for 2 months and I've been trying to reorganize the class. Right now it seems like it's a free for all. The current teacher who has been there for 5 years seems like she doesn't know how to be consistant with them. I would like to see a set schedule where we do centers and have group time but she doesn't do that. I'm slowly trying to change this. Thanks for the info.

Oh, sensory is always so much fun! i have a ton of ideas.

Go on a sound walk around the school/center. LIsten for common noises.

Fill different pans with unique substances: Jello, beads, feathers, ect. Let the children put thier feet into the bins while sitting down. Most of them really enjoy this.

If you have a Sensory Table, put different things in it. If it is a dry table, do sand, flour, rice, corn, ect.

Bring in glow-in-the-dark items. Let the children explore them. Another cool thing is Blacklight flashlights. Also good are the snap-lights that you get on Halloween.

Take different scents and put them on cotton balls. Then, put the cotton in small closed boxes with holes in the lids. Let the children guess the scents. For this age, a cue card with pictures is necessary.

Play a matching game with textures. Make it really simple for the twos. Have eight squares in pairs of two. ONe velvet, one sandpaper, one a woven fabric, and one carpet. Ask the children to close thier eyes and see if they can match. If they peek, don't worry. They're just using a different sense.

I have lots more, but I don't want to make this too long.

Dinosours and Outer Space are going to be hard for the twos because they are not concrete. Still, there are some ideas.

Books, pictures, and models will definetly help. Matching, pre-counting, and sorting at a basic level can be incorperated into activities. Becasue twos do better in small groups or one-on-one, keep that in mind.

One thing that always goes over big is a food experience. Bring in some of the dried food astronouts eat. For the dinosours, try lettuce for the plant eaters and lunch meat for the meat eaters.

Sand and water table is always awesome...also love the texture books. For outer space why don't you make headbands that respresent things in space (Sun, moon, stars, Earth, etc. For dinosaurs, I would bring in action figures with sounds. I agree, they love to taste different foods. For sound, toy instruments.

I wish that I knew something about working with pre-schoolers. Unfortunately, I don't know a thing and can not offer any suggestion.

However, I do like the suggestions that you have been getting and will store them in the back of my mind to share with some of the pre-kindergarten teachers that I have occasion to work with.

Good luck on your search.

Talking

Hi I work with two year olds too. I am doing dinosuars also, I use my dinosaurs in the sensory table with sand and that way they can dig for them. I also paint with the dinosaurs we call it dinosaur stomp, just use a large piece of paper and have the kids walk down the dinosaur path after dipping them in paint. For the outer space theme use fashlights and have them find the red block or the green circle or the blue star that might be way up high. the kids love doing this at nap time. I have glow in the dark stars and planets on my ceiling. I have a child who is Autistic, any ideas how to help him? I am working with parents and the social workers. I need ideas on how to have him connect with the teachers and his peers. Thank you

Probationary Member

Smile

Thanks for all the great ideas. I like them all I'm going to start using them next week for the sensory tips. Thanks again. The kids are going to love them.

Probationary Member

Ok those were some great ideas. The senses went really great. Our theme for next week is Outer Space I'll try some of these great ideas and let everyone know how it went. Dinosaur week is the following week. The Dinosaur stomp idea is a great one using dinosaurs to paint with great idea. I'll try it an let you know how it goes. Thanks